Call me easily amused, but these little torch-topped cupcakes delight me. Besides being a cute novelty item for a party, I think they would add a little drama to the end of a romantic meal. I’ve been looking for something different to serve for Valentine’s dessert, and this is definitely different. The strawberries are hollowed out and filled with a bit of liquor, then ignited with a match.
This more of a gentle suggestion post more than a straight up recipe, but when it comes to the actual cupcake, you feel free to use whatever type of cupcake and frosting you choose. Obviously chocolate would work well the strawberry, but I know you’ve got moxy, so that inventive nature of yours and come up with something dope. However, the flaming strawberries themselves have a bit stricter of guidelines.
Notes for flaming strawberries:
- Any alcohol below 80 proof will not ignite well. I used 80 proof which makes a small blue flame. Note: some have had trouble getting 80 proof to ignite – lots of people are recommending Bacardi 151 as a fail-safe.
- You can add a little sugar to the inside of the strawberry to sweeten things up. However, the flame seems to last longer without the addition of sugar.
- Make sure to use a liquor that you like. Vodka is a good choice if you want very little flavor.
- Alcohol evaporates, so light the strawberry soon after you spoon the liquor in.
- Room temperature alcohol ignites better than refrigerated.
- Do I have to say it? Probably not, but my conscience will not let me go without. Do not attempt to eat a flaming strawberry. It has a relatively short burn time, lasting about 30 seconds to 1 minute. So, enjoy but be careful. Use your noodle.